Wednesday, August 12, 2015

3 Run Park Pass

Creative running... sometimes it is not easy to find a 5-6 hour time slot for a loooooooong run.  I know that sounds crazy but this is our last month of training for the Pinellas Trail Challenge 46 mile run.  We are not running for 5 pure hours, but it does take around that amount of time to cover 20 plus miles (which includes walking, bathroom breaks, nutrition and change of clothes stops:)  

Since May, my friends and I have been adding distance to our long runs each weekend.  According to my Garmin log, our first real distance run was 16 miles. From there we increased training runs to 17, 19, 22 and recently 25 miles. Next up, we have a 30 miler for this weekend--yipeeeeeee;)

To keep momentum for the big 3-0, I wanted to accomplish 25 or so miles this past weekend.  Small snag to this plan--Wendy's best friend, Kelly, was in town and of course we had to vacation with her;)  We had parasailing, kayaking, sunset cruising and so much more to do! 
 All photos courtesy of Kelly:)  Thank you for capturing our memories!

I prepped my wife that I planned to squeeze in a run when the opportunity presented itself.  Since a half a day was not possible, I formulated an alternate strategy--three 10 mile runs.  I have not had back-to-back-to-back long runs in forever.  Needless to say it was an adventure:)

Each run was extremely different with it's own set of challenges.  Following are my musings about this action-packed weekend!

Run#1: Clearwater Beach to Caladesi Island
Seriously, is there a better place to run than next to the ocean with the sound of waves and birds to keep you company?  

Wendy and Kelly set a parasailing appointment for 1pm and we were all off to the beach to chill until "go" time:0  I used this opportunity to set out for an 8 miler (no time for 10, take what you can get;) 
It was a Friday; I was off work; I was at the beach; and it was a gorgeous, sunny day.  Bring it on--my mind and body exclaimed!  
My shoes hit the sand and my brain went on vacation along with the rest of me.  I forgot my iPod, which was probably a blessing in disguise, so I tuned in to the sights and sounds around.  The water was choppy so not much chance for a dolphin sighting. Instead my focus was on the immense beach stretched out in front of me.  Usually the ocean is lapping at your feet and a game of "catch me if you can" ensues.  FYI-I always lose this game and my feet get wet!  
Today the beach was super-wide.  As Pier 60 and civilization faded into the background, I noticed my footprints were the only ones on the coast.  What a treat--to be the pioneer steps on the pristine landscape!  Feeling like an explorer put a spring in my step and pushed me forward in search of gold (or the 4 mile turnaround in this case;)
It was an amazing journey to move from the hustle and bustle of Clearwater Beach to undisturbed grounds and rustic lands, to the ferry landing and tourists to then see the Dunedin Causeway and Honeymoon Island appear like a mirage in the distance.  I had reached my destination--time to doubleback!  
I was not thinking the return trip would be too eventful... was I ever wrong!  At the ferry landing, I stopped to refill my water bottle and ended up taking a mini shower--the heat was on!  It felt great to cool down and recharge for the final 3 miles.  I said goodbye to the tourists and was getting lost in the sand and ocean when the wind shifted. Nothing much but it pulled my attention to the west and an ominous line of dark clouds.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, was this storm headed my way?? Hard to tell, but as I looked south to Clearwater, the sun was still shining.  I secretly felt bad for the tourists who just offloaded as rain was imminent at the park!  
I was not too worried but did try to pick up my pace!  My Garmin beeped and I was just 2 miles from lunchtime:)  The clouds still seemed far away and I kept chugging along enjoying the drop in temperature.  
Every once in a while I would glance to the sea and think, I got this. Then lighting struck--literally.  My first thought was, there goes the parasailing excursion.   
Beep--1 more mile.  "I think I can, I think I can" was my mantra. 
Suddenly, rain came at me sideways, pelting my exposed skin (which was 90% of my body considering it was 85 degrees when I began this escapade).  My race against the storm was over and it seemed the heavens gloated on this fact--the rain grew stronger and seriously felt like hail--WTH mother nature;)  I thought I picked up my pace before; however, I was now in a sprint to save the universe from total annihilation.  At least that is how I felt as I ran past honeymooners, vacationers and locales all caught off guard by this insane monsoon!
The condo tower where we entered the beach loomed up ahead and I hoped Wendy and Kelly made it to the car sans rain!  I turned up the access road when I heard people yelling, "Jill, Jill." Huddled under the condo parking garage were Wendy, Kelly and a few other couples who joined in the shouting/cheering of my name!  Looks like we were all humbled by the stealthy storm.
Well, it appears my words have rambled on about Run #1.  Next blog, I will recap Runs 2 & 3 - not quite as animated as this one but still worth the read;)

Enjoy each and every moment, you never know when the winds will change!


















No comments:

Post a Comment