Sunday, May 10, 2015

Losing yourself in the run...

Today was my first long run in a long time, and I have definitely missed it!  I was not sure of my route until I started driving towards Safety Harbor.  I was going to run a typical course along Bayshore Boulevard, when I remembered the new Courtney Campbell Causeway trail.  Now instead of the usual path, I was heading out on a new adventure!  This novelty made 10 miles seem way more exciting:)  I was curious of the distance to the new trail so here was an excuse to map it out.

I was off... my legs felt ok which I was happy to discover after a tough leg workout Friday night (another, it's been a long time since I've done 100 squats, lunges, ring jumps, etc.).  There was a slight breeze and shade in the first part and my mind was free.  Before I knew it I was at the Causeway, only a mile and a half from my start (Del Oro Park).  My guess was two miles so I was fairly close in my estimate.

Just steps onto the new trail, I encountered a police officer guarding the barricades at the entrance to the pathway. Some bikers were also on the path and we were all told the course was closed (didn't we see the barricades, duh!#$%).

I'm not sharing my internal monologue but as you may guess, I was extremely disappointed.  My excitement and expectations were crushed.  I turned around and headed back towards the Safety Harbor Pier.

I immediately began that "running math" we runners love so much in order to recalculate the distance back to the start and then how far north to hit my target.  Interrupting my computations were cranky thoughts about the police officer raining on my parade.  I tried to let it go and then finally just gave in and let it out... unfortunately I wasted a few miles in a gloomy disposition until a butterfly caught my eye.  It was a big butterfly, mostly black with yellow spots. The butterfly totally busted me out of my mood and brought me back.  She flew with me for about a half mile and set my heart at ease.

I then saw a male and a female cardinal hanging out in a tree--I envisioned young love.  Several crows flew overhead, perched and squawked at me.  Crows always have something to say to me so I engaged them in some conversation. Next, came views of Tampa Bay, as the brush along the water was perfectly trimmed for eye level observation. It was a gorgeous day and the Causeway cluster was long forgotten.

I ran into Philippe Park and hit my turnaround point--yay! My legs were starting to feel heavy and it seemed much hotter than the 78 degrees when I started.


Mentally there is something wonderful about a turnaround/halfway spot and I tried to focus on that happy thought and put one foot in front of the other.

I did notice a breeze which was not there on the way into the park, plus sights of kayaks on the water and before I knew it I was a mile closer to some AC.

I stopped for ice cold water at the Safety Harbor Pier and started a gel to get me through the last 3 miles.  I don't recall much of anything until my iPod announced "low battery".  It was hot,  I just ticked off mile #8 and I thought--if my iPod dies, I die.  A tad dramatic, I know--blame the heat!  My predicament brought back memories of Wendy's iPod dying at the Marine Corp. Marathon.  Quick recap--Wendy's first every marathon, music is her lifeline, iPod quit at at mile 13, she was passed by a girl with a cast on her foot at mile 20, prayed for a sniper to strike at 22, blisters on both feet exploded around mile 25, body covered head to toe in salt at 26.2--SHE DID IT (video of her "sprinting" through the finish line on file;)!  All these visuals flooded my brain and my pace quickened!

The next mile is a blur, although I did look for gators at the little park before my turn.  One more mile to go and there's shade but also a slight incline (my knees and hips cried).  I haven't seen anyone else running since mile 4 and a guy pops onto the trail all fresh with a spring in his step.  I had just stopped for a last swig of water and probably looked fresh out of battle.  Oh well, someone to follow and swipe some energy from... mile 10 beeps on my Garmin.

I stop, walk and start to think what a crazy, unexpected run.  Good times!

1 comment:

  1. My ipod died at Gasparilla with 3 miles to go. You are not dramatic.

    ReplyDelete