Thursday, May 7, 2015

To workout or rest, that is the question?!

Well here it goes... my first blog post and it's not about running (directly), ha!  This entry is about the dreaded "rest" day.  My wife jokingly said last night, "why don't you take a rest day today?".  Sounds so easy, but oh so hard!  Why?  Why is it difficult to relax and do nothing in the form of exercise?  Maybe it's the idea of doing nothing when in actuality I know I will do something just not my usual physical release.  Maybe my mind plays tricks with me--self doubts creep in, work problems cloud my mind--who am I... what's my purpose... these thoughts fill my head when I'm not drowning myself in sweat!  Just the word "rest" sends shivers down my spine--rationale is out the window.  I know my body needs to recharge, I know I will rise up stronger the next day, I know I won't gain 10 pounds overnight, I know I won't lose any conditioning.  Yet the psychological demon exists.  A rest day is a true test of mental toughness.  Hmmmmmmm, have I stumbled upon an understanding?!  The struggle to rest is really an exercise in mental strengthening. Therefore, I'm not really resting but powering up my brain for the long, hot runs ahead and the inevitable mind games.  Bring it on summer:)



No comments:

Post a Comment