Thursday, May 28, 2015

Nothing for granted

Recently I've been hampered with a lingering cough.  I thought I was on the road to recovery and had a decent 9 mile run prior to our cruise this past weekend.  My idea was to squeeze in one last run and then take a break while on the get-a-way.  On the cruise track, eleven laps = 1 mile.  A million laps around a tiny track-not my idea of a good time;)  Seems eerily familiar to treadmill running.  As you may surmise, I am not a fan of the hamster-wheel/treadmill.  I will run on a treadmill as a last resort but prefer an open road or trail!  It is too easy for me to just hop off the treadmill, versus if I run two miles away from home, I have to run (or walk, but I have no patience for that) two miles to get back.  Forced motivation, along with a sense of adventure awaits an outdoor run!

So, as intended I chilled out on the cruise.  No running, but we did use the track for some mini boot camp workouts (thank you Cherry).  On the last day we were going to run a few laps to warm up but the wind nearly blew us off the ship so we stuck to jumping jacks and jump rope.  

We had a great time on the cruise!  We read books and watched the sunset every night. We ate and napped whenever the mood struck.  We enjoyed the dance show and live bands. We took an excursion to "Isla de Passíon" which was amazing.  The water was crystal clear and a gorgeous green. Blue Lagoon drinks and ocean hammocks made the day fly!  We also met a cool couple from our area.  And the catamaran ride back was one big dance party.

Oh yeah, back to my throat tickler... I felt a little lethargic on the cruise and definitely not near the 110% I like to represent whether work or play.  After the Passion Island party my cough returned with a vengeance--not happy.  I tried to write it off to too much sun and drink; however, my allergies had other ideas.  The cold did not interfere with our good time cruise but the new virus did wreck havoc on my psyche.  I had something flu-ish in March and then bronchitis in April and now another viral attack-WTH!!!  Back on the mainland my goal was to run long in training for the Pinellas Trail Challenge (PTC).  I could not believe I was sick AGAIN.  

I wallowed around in pity for a few days but it was time to lift the mental and physical fog. I began to barter with myself.  I would appreciate every run in the future no matter the heat, the distance, the loneliness--as long as I could breathe without coughing or feeling blah.   I was forced to rest but I told myself, I will come back stronger.  I came to realize, you cannot take anything for granted.  I started to feel gratitude for the health I have, for the ability to run, for work, for my amazing soul mate and wonderful friends and family.

I was still a little bit shaky yesterday but totally stir crazy.  There was a slight breeze and some clouds so I decided to test out my legs and lungs.  I took a swig of Tylenol cold medicine and was out the door.  My legs fell into rhythm and my breathing was ok.  I tried not to assess everything and just enjoy the freedom and spirit of the run.  The 3 miles went by too fast but the spirit carried on throughout my day.  My body and mind celebrated this little accomplishment. I felt alive and back to my usual self.  

Sometimes a low brings out a high.  Not the "runner's high"... speaking of--topic for another blog~

Journey on friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment